The 1964 World's Fair opened 50 years ago today -
I fucking loved the 1964/65 World’s Fair.
That is all. No, that’s enough.
In case you (like Edward Snowden) want to know about the full scope of Russia’s program of mass domestic and international surveillance, World Policy’s overview of the Russian surveillance state is brilliant and terrifying. As Snowden said, “I blew the whistle on the NSA’s surveillance practices not because I believed that the United States was uniquely at fault, but because I believe that mass surveillance of innocents – the construction of enormous, state-run surveillance time machines that can turn back the clock on the most intimate details of our lives – is a threat to all people, everywhere, no matter who runs them.” —
How the Russian surveillance state works - Boing Boing
Shine a light.
6 New York Artists on the Closing of Pearl Paint -
Dirty little secret: I didn’t love Pearl.
Ukraine Crisis Russian Troops - The Ukraine Tangle -
Foreign policy for dummies.
Obama plans clemency for hundreds of drug offenders -
Actual news lost in the mainstream media bullshit storm.
Some individuals wary of having someone cut off a piece of their penis with a knife — The Case For And Against Circumcision | The Onion - America’s Finest News Source
Mohel looks like he’s had about eight cups of coffee — The Case For And Against Circumcision | The Onion - America’s Finest News Source
Eat right. Get physical activity. Don’t smoke. Alcohol in moderation. Spend time with friends. —
Don’t read more health books. Read these 14 words. - Vox
Yes, that’s about it.
EXCLUSIVE: ‘Negroes in the house! Negroes in the house!’ Oprah shouted as her father and his wife arrived. ‘She was reminding us of our low class,’ says Oprah’s bitter stepmother in an explosive first-ever interview —
Oprah Winfrey’s bitter stepmother Barbara in explosive first-ever interview | Mail Online
- After 14 years of marriage to Oprah’s father Vernon, Barbara Winfrey is being forced out of her marital home by Oprah, leaving her homeless
- Barbara refused to sign a confidentiality agreement with Oprah
- 'You say I never talk to you,' Oprah told Barbara in a birthday phone call. 'I'm talking to you now. You have until Monday to get out of MY house'
- When Oprah threw her Legends’ Ball, Vernon and Barbara weren’t on the main floor with the A-listers but tucked in a corner on the second floor. ‘We weren’t allowed to mingle with the celebrities,’ says Barbara
- 'It wasn't unusual for Oprah to fly to her house in Hawaii, call Gayle (King) and say, “Fire so and so and so and so.” Oprah and Gayle's relationship is “bizarre”,' says Barbara
- Oprah was never willing to take a DNA test to prove Vernon is her real dad. ‘She can’t believe such a silly man would make such a magnificent creature’
- 'Oprah complained that my sheets didn't have 1000 thread and the bath towels and coffee cups weren't big enough,' Barbara says
Of course, there’s ambiguities here. But there are things about Oprah that set off the B.S. detector. Choice of portages, long time relationship with a not-liberal…. Just a lot of stuff that sets off questions about her fortune-making “authenticity”.
Via Mark Thoma, Larry Bartels produces the ultimate anti-Santorum argument. Santorum, you may recall, declared that we have no classes in America — even the term middle class, he says, is “Marxism talk“. —
Class-Ridden America - NYTimes.com - NYTimes.com
How often do “conservatives” reference facts? They don’t care and their supporters don’t care, so why bother “catching” them being “wrong”?
Dr. Greg Brannon says democracy is 'socialism,' possibly because he is really, really dumb -
Or maybe pols saying stupid things are smart, and are just pandering to cretins.
Which is actually far worse than be “dumb”. They’re deliberate liars.
The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) have revoked the charter of Seattle’s Rainier Beach United Methodist Church after the parish made headlines for standing by an openly gay Scoutmaster earlier this month. — Boy Scouts Sever Ties With Seattle Church After Its Refusal To Remove Gay Scout Leader
They said you’d be bad for the Tumblr.
And they were right.
Bookmarklet’s an unfixed mess.
Talking big is nice, Yahoo! But if it’s not backed up with substance it’s just horseshit.
How Heartbleed transformed HTTPS security into the stuff of absurdist theater